Event space initiated by the creators of the infamous club ‘Stattbad Wedding’
Because of rapidly growing industrialisation in Berlin, people were crammed in apartments with only outside toilets and no access to bathrooms, leading to catastrophic hygienic conditions. The call for public bathrooms became louder, which lead to the commissioning of the town planning councillor Ludwig Hoffmann to build a bathhouse in the densely populated workers’ district of Berlin-Kreuzberg.
The Stadtbad Kreuzberg (Baerwaldbad) was built in 1898-1901 and included the small u-shaped swimming pool, as well as 69 baths and 42 shower rooms, a medical department, the necessary cash offices and apartments for the workers on the upper floor. The rear part of the building features an additional staircase, which gave the pupils of the school behind it direct access to the bathing areas.
Soon the heavily frequented bathhouse became too small so that in 1913-1917 an extension was built on the corner of Baerwaldstraße and Wilmsstrasse. The new building was equipped with a swimming pool (length 25 m, width 9.55 m), 35 showers, and a health and spa department. During WWII, this newer “Great Hall” was completely destroyed.
In 1951, the district decided to rebuild the second swimming pool, which took three years. Since many apartments in the area still lacked access to bathrooms, the bathhouse remained popular. School and club swimming took place in the bathhouse, with many Kreuzbergers having learnt to swim here. But by the 1990s individual departments of the Baerwaldbad were shut down due to lack of demand, and in 1998, the public bathing was discontinued. School and club swimming still took place, with the final end coming in 2002.