Architectural Simulation at the Schinkel’sche Bauakademie
The building of the Bauakademie was built between 1832 and 1836 (later known as Schinkel’s Bauakademie) and is considered one of the forerunners of modern architecture due to its at the time uncommon use of red brick and the relatively streamlined facade of the building.
Damaged during World War II, the Bauakademie was then partially restored, but in 1962 the building was demolished to make room for the future Ministry of Foreign Affairs of East Germany. The building suffered a similar fate in 1995 when the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of East Germany was demolished in order to recreate the Werderscher Markt area. Since then, proposals to rebuild Schinkel’s Bauakademie have been discussed with the city and Federal authorities. Between 2000 and 2001 students erected a temporary structure to give an impression of the volume and form of the building.
This temporary Schinkel’sche Bauakademie is an exclusive venue due to its ideal location in the middle of the city.